OHS home

Ohio Historical Society / The African American Experience in Ohio, 1850-1920
SEARCH

-or-

BROWSE


MANUSCRIPTS

NEWSPAPERS

PAMPHLETS

PHOTOGRAPHS
& PRINTS


SERIALS


HOME
10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  98  99  100  101  102  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  111  112  113  114  115  116  117  118  119  120  121  122  123  124  125  126  127  128  129  130  131  132  133  134  135  136  137  138  139  140  141  142  143  144  145  146  147  148  149  150  151  152  153  154  155  156  157  158  159  160  161  162  163  164  165  166  167  168  169  170  171  172  173  174  175  176  177  178  179  180  181  182  183  184  185  186  187  188  189  190  191  192  193  194  195  196  197  198  199  200  201  202  203  204  205  206  207  208  209  210  211  212  213  214  215  216  217  218  219  220  221  222  223  224  225  226  227  228  229  230  231  232  233  234  235  236  237  238  239  240  241  242  243  244  245  246  247  248  249  250  251 
PreviousPrevious Item Description Next Next
Budget Containing the Status of Methodism at the Second Ecumenical Conference of Methodism
			
            STATUS OF METHODISM AND CHRISTIANITY.               23

    The measures adopted at that meeting led to the formation of the
First Day or Sunday-School Society on the 11th of January, 1791.
This society supported three schools for many years, and employed
teachers whose salaries were paid from its funds, which were
raised from the voluntary contributions of its managers and friends.
From 1791 to 1800 more than (2000) two thousand pupils were ad-
mitted into these schools, and during the nineteen years' existence of
the institution before 1810, seven thousand six hundred and thirty-nine
dollars and sixty-three cents were received into its treasury, and al-
most wholly expended in paying teachers' wages.
    "The Society, we believe, continued to employ teachers until
1815, when, as far as we know, the practice entirely ceased in this
country.
    "In the meantime Sabbath-schools were slowly introduced into
various other places.
    "In New York they were commenced by the late excellent Isa-
bella Graham and Mr. Bethune, in the year 1803, and about the
same time in New Brunswick, New Jersey and other towns and cities.
About the year 1816 the institution began to be more generally known
and introduced by means of the intelligence  which was diffused
through the medium of religious newspapers which commenced about
that period.
    "In 1847 'The Philadelphia Sunday and Adult School Union'
was formed. This Society commenced with about five thousand
scholars, and at the expiration of seven years had nearly fifty-six thou-
sand children in its connection.
    "One of the principle objects of this Union was to supply the
neighboring schools with the requisite books and apparatus of the best
kind, and at the least expense; and the advantages of such an estab-
lishment was so obvious; that in a few years auxiliaries to this Society
of every sect, were found scattered through seventeen States, and its
publications during the last year of its existence exceeded two hundred
and ten thousand, consisting of reward-books, spelling-books, etc.,
for the use of the schools. Having become national in character, not
by any wise scheme of man, but imperceptibly and unexpectedly--a
fact which itself proves the necessity of such an institution.




			
Download High Resolution TIFF Image
PreviousPrevious Item Description Next Next

OHS/National Afro-American Museum & Cultural Center Pamphlet Collection

Budget Containing the Status of Methodism at the Second Ecumenical Conference of Methodism


HOME || CONTACT

ABOUT || CALENDAR || PLACES || RESOURCES || OHIO HISTORY STORE || LINKS || SEARCH
http://www.ohiohistory.org || Last modified
Ohio History Center 800 E. 17th Ave. Columbus, OH 43211 © 1996-2011 All Rights Reserved.